Tulsa Edison's Eagles play Tulsa Memorial's Chargers at Memorial Veterans Arena, Jan. 14, 2020
The places for tournaments
Published Feb. 27, 2020
Four high school arenas designed by Sparks Reed host basketball playoffs
TULSA (Feb. 27, 2020) – Four high school arenas designed by Sparks Reed Architecture and Interiors will host state playoff basketball tournaments this weekend.
"It's great to see the success of the student-athletes,” said Sparks Reed principal and cofounder David Reed, “and how great facilities impact the performance and home-court advantages."
The Oklahoma Secondary Schools Athletic Association will oversee:
• 6A boys and girls basketball playoff tourneys at Tulsa’s Booker T. Washington High School Nathan E. Harris Field House, a Sparks Reed design completed by construction manager Flintco in 2012.
• A 5A boys tournament at Tulsa’s Memorial High School Memorial Veterans Arena, a Sparks Reed design completed by Flintco in 2014.
• A 5A boys tournament at Tulsa’s Edison Preparatory School’s athletic center, a Sparks Reed design completed by Flintco in late 2012.
• 3A boys and girls tournaments in the Kellyville Event Center. This Sparks Reed design for Kellyville Public Schools was completed by contractor D.C. Bass in 2018.
Hospitality suite at Memorial Veterans Arena
These Sparks Reed arenas feature several elements designed to help such events succeed:
• Locker rooms for multiple teams, coaches, and officials.
• Secure court access separating fans from participants.
• Spacious entryways to accommodate large crowds.
• A mid-level concourse providing improved pedestrian traffic and easy fan access to concessions, restrooms, and seating. These levels also offer excellent court views.
Views from Memorial Veterans Arena concourse as Tulsa Edison's Eagles play Tulsa Memorial's Chargers, Jan. 14, 2020
Each of these arenas also boasts a sizeable hospitality suite, sports training centers, and trophy display areas.
"It is truly an honor for a school to host playoff games,” said Reed. “Our team at Sparks Reed also considers this a great honor to work with these great schools. We are excited to see them excel."
Click on each photo to learn more about that arena.
MARCH 2 ADDENDUM: Memorial Veterans Arena will host two 6A girls area playoff games on March 5, along with the 6A boys playoff quarterfinals on March 12.